DRS 2020 DCS
METIS DRS 2020 DCS – Cultural Heritage
Specifically designed for Fine-Art, Professional Cartography and the main cultural heritage digital reproduction applications.
It integrates METIS cutting-edge technologies such as natural color capturing and appearance, 3D data calculation, perfect geometric accuracy and more.
The DRS 2020 DCS with its up to 200 x 120 cm (78.74 x 47.24 in) scanning format is the largest model in the METIS DRS-DCS for Cultural Heritage family. It has been specifically designed for the most demanding cultural heritage applications such as Fine-Art, professional cartography and the main digital reproduction applications on this market.
The DRS 2020 DCS introduces important features such as:
- a digital camera with 16K imaging sensor. The digital camera is vertically motorized in order to allow achieving an optical resolution up to 1600 PPI (software adjustable from 100 to 3200 PPI).
- a new and improved DC Synchrolight lighting system updated to the latest LED technology with increased lighting power and color rendering. The DC Synchrolight (Dynamically Controlled Synchronized Light) is a patent protected METIS technology: 4 light sources (Standard) or 8 light sources (Plus).
METIS DC Synchrolight gives the ability to control and change dynamically, instantly and automatically the angle and intensity of the light emitted by the light sources in the scanning area, making it possible to optimize the result of the digitization, depending on the type and nature of the originals.
Thanks to the unique METIS SuperScan mode and “MDC” file format, all the natural light schematics are recorded and available within a single file. Moreover, thanks also to Light Inspector software different visual appearances can be obtained at any time without the need for rescanning the original or making physical adjustment to the lighting. Therefore, our technology allows identifying in real time the best natural light schematic between thousands of possible ones and providing results unreachable by any other system on the market.
The ability of evaluating light changes in real time allows to very quickly achieve an optimal reproduction even on very difficult originals, dramatically speeding up and simplifying the scanning workflow.
In addiction, thanks to the METIS Photometric Stereo 3D technique, from the MDC SuperScan file it’s also possible, in a matter of seconds, to calculate and extrapolate 3D data directly from the acquired 2D color data.
More in detail, below are some of the DRS 2020 DCS unique features:
- it includes a wide collection of METIS software (Scan Director, Light Inspector, Color Profiler and others) specially aimed to various Cultural Heritage applications. All METIS software tools are very user-friendly and perfectly integrated one with the other, generating a very smooth workflow and perfect results no matter the task.
- It integrates all cutting-edge METIS technologies including the ability to SuperScan; this is a sophisticated but completely automated acquisition mode uniquely available in METIS scanners that allows:
- changing the visual appearance after scanning without the need to scan again. This greatly helps the operator, for example, to find the best visual appearance or to find/study details of the scanned original previously invisible to naked eye;
- generating a dense and accurate 3D Depth Map through the “METIS Photometric Stereo 3D” technique. Since 2013 METIS has pioneered and refined this technique and enriched its software with 3D tools for optimizing the data for different kind of use (engraving, visual evaluation, paintings reproductions, etc.);
- generating a special Glossiness Map that can be used for printing/engraving/visualization purposes as, for example, to extrapolate a mapping of golds or other metallic details on illuminated codes for reproduction purposes.
- The scanner is very easy to operate and highly automated. For example, light schematics can be changed without the need for manually compensating exposure, contrast or greybalance and temperature is monitored continuously in order to provide consistent and repeatable results over time. The scanner itself is the expert and takes care of the technical details!
- Unsharp masking, despeckle, paper color correction, light reflection tool, crop and multi-crop, automatic file naming, are some of the important features that our software easily handles for the cultural heritage needs.
- The DRS 2020 DCS, like all other DRS-DCS systems, has a high scanning speed and operativity with perfect color accuracy and zenithal vision, can handle very large files, has a very large depth of field (user selectable) and is designed to last over time.
- The geometrical accuracy is the highest possible allowing for use in the most demanding professional drawing and cartography applications.
- It is easy to learn. Our software is simple to use and has a user-friendly interface which allows even a novice user to master professional scanning techniques.
Last but not least, all Metis software is constantly enhanced thanks to our fantastic R&D department!
METIS DRS 2020 DCS for Cultural Heritage – main features and specifications
- Scan format: 200 x 120 cm (78.74 x 47.24 in). Dimensions can be extended thanks to the proprietary Scan Merge tool which allows perfectly and automatically stitching different acquisitions
- Maximum thickness: ~ 15 cm (5.90 in) at 200 x 120 cm (78.74 x 47.24 in) format; up to 50 cm (19.68 in) at smaller formats
- New camera: Allows extension of native optical resolution
- Optical Resolution: Up to 1600 PPI (software adjustable from 100 to 3200 PPI)
- Image sensor: 16K CMOS trilinear, High Dynamic Range, low noise, high color fidelity
- Image processing: 16bit per channel (48bit) independently from selected output format
- Acquisition modes: Scan, SuperScan, Direct SuperScan, DOF+ (various combinations are also possible)
- Image Save formats: Metis MDC, Standard TIFF (Color: 48 or 24bit; Grayscale: 16 or 8bit), JPEG and other formats are also available in normal scan mode
- Auto-Focus: Via the simple-to-use software, the lighting system and camera lens automatically adjust to the selected resolution and allow the easy compensation of originals’ thickness
- Patented Lighting System: 4 light sources (Standard) or 8 light sources (Plus) with variable intensity; thousands of different light schematics can be obtained through dimming and light distance setting (fully automated and software controlled)
- Light Source Type: High CRI LEDs, IR/UV free
- High grade precision/reliable mechanics and optics
- METIS software: All software run natively at 64bit on Windows 10 or 11 64bit Professional edition
- METIS Scan Director software: Drives the METIS scanners, integrating all the tools and features needed to capture the highest quality data simply and effectively. Included within Scan Director are the METIS Light Inspector and METIS Color Profiler software to provide a smooth and optimal workflow
- METIS Light Inspector software: Provides extensive features needed for the post-processing of a METIS scan, such as adjustment of the light and visual appearance, the generation of the 3D Depth, Glossiness, and Normal MAPs, to the automatic stitching tool
- METIS Color Profiler software: Automatically handles the color accuracy of the scanner with tools for calibration, profile creation and conversion, and the validation of color and ICC profiles. The software also fully supports ICC profiles from scan, on-screen visualization, to the exported data
- Cultural Heritage tools: Unsharp masking, despeckle, paper color correction, light reflection tool, crop and multi-crop, automatic file naming, and much more
- Perfect geometrical accuracy (verified in all directions)
- Very Large Depth of Field (user selectable)
- Workflow: Optimized for a high real productivity including original positioning, scanning, image processing, saving on local storage or network, all in full respect of the originals
- FADGI / Metamorfoze / ISO 19264-1 compliant
- Holding Table: ~250 x 140 cm (98.43 x 55.12 in), can hold up to 200 Kg (440.92 lbs.); integrated pressure sensors
- METIS Vacuum Table: optional
- Scanner sizes: ~ 295 cm (116.14 in) length, 243 cm (95.67 in) width, 245 cm (96.46 in) height
Some other features of the software:
- Customizable user Profiles for workflow optimization and system settings retrieving
- Fast Preview for real-time adjustments. See always your changes and switch between presets
- Automatic Lighting calibration and gray balance tools
- Color/density tools: exposure, contrast, highlight, shadows, gamma, automatic adjustments, black and white points, histograms and point analysis, etc.
- Full Resolution image view immediately after the scan
- “Light Inspector” tools allow for real-time natural light schematic variations and evaluation
- Full ICC support, always the best color accuracy
and much more.