DRS 752 DCS
METIS DRS 752 DCS
Designed specifically for libraries, archives, museums, digitization service providers and the main cultural heritage digital reproduction applications.
It integrates cutting-edge METIS technologies such as natural color and appearance capturing and perfect details accuracy for generating real “virtual copies” of the originals.
The DRS 752 DCS, with its up to 50 x 75 cm (19.68 x 29.53 in) scanning format, is a professional scanner specially designed for libraries, archives, museums, digitization service providers and the main cultural heritage digital reproduction applications, in order to provide a “non-invasive” high quality digital reproduction of ancient books, drawings, maps, parchments, etc.
The DRS 752 DCS introduces important features such as:
- An automated electronic book cradle with a motorized and highly versatile glass, capable of handling up to 50 x 75 cm (19.68 x 29.53 in) originals and up to 30 cm (11.8 in) of thickness. The automatic book cradle accepts books as well as drawings, maps and even other originals.
- An innovative digital camera with 16K imaging sensor that allows a native optical resolution of 800 PPI (software adjustable up to 1600 PPI). This allows generating real “virtual copies” of the originals.
- The innovative DC SynchroLight lighting system. The DC Synchrolight (Dynamically Controlled Synchronized Light) is a METIS patent protected technology.
METIS DC SynchroLight gives the ability to control and change dynamically, instantly and automatically the angle and intensity of the light emitted by the various light sources in the scanning area, making it possible to optimize the result of the digitization, depending on the type and nature of the originals.
Thanks to the unique METIS SuperScan mode and “MDC” file format, all the natural light schematics are recorded and available within a single file. Moreover, thanks also to Light Inspector software different visual appearances can be obtained at any time without the need for rescanning the original or making physical adjustment to the lighting. Therefore, our technology allows identifying in real time the best natural light schematic between thousands of possible ones and providing results unreachable by any other system on the market.
The ability of evaluating light changes in real time allows to very quickly achieve an optimal reproduction even on very difficult originals, dramatically speeding up and simplifying the scanning workflow.
In addiction, thanks to the METIS Photometric Stereo 3D technique, also with the DRS 752 DCS it’s possible to calculate 3D data directly from the acquired 2D color data but only for special applications.
More in detail, below are some of the DRS 752 DCS unique features:
- it includes a wide collection of METIS software (Scan Director, Light Inspector, Color Profiler and others) specially aimed to various Cultural Heritage applications. All METIS software tools are very user-friendly and perfectly integrated one with the other, generating a very smooth workflow and perfect results no matter the task.
- It integrates all cutting-edge METIS technologies including the ability to SuperScan; this is a sophisticated but completely automated acquisition mode uniquely available in METIS scanners that allows:
- changing the visual appearance after scanning without the need to scan again. This greatly helps the operator, for example, to find the best visual appearance or to find/study details of the scanned original previously invisible to naked eye.
- generating a special Glossiness Map that can be used for printing/engraving/visualization purposes as, for example, to extrapolate a mapping of golds or other metallic details on illuminated codes for reproduction purposes.
- The scanner is very easy to operate and highly automated. For example, light schematics can be changed without the need for manually compensating exposure, contrast or greybalance and temperature is monitored continuously in order to provide consistent and repeatable results over time. The scanner itself is the expert and takes care of the technical details!
- Unsharp masking, despeckle, deskew, paper color correction, light reflection tool, user customizable macro tools for automatic file labeling, are some of the important features that our software easily handles for the cultural heritage needs.
- The DRS 752 DCS, like all other DRS-DCS systems, has a high scanning speed and operativity with perfect color accuracy and zenithal vision, can handle very large files, has a very large depth of field and is designed to last over time.
- The geometrical accuracy is the highest possible.
- It is easy to learn. Our software is simple to use and has a user-friendly interface which allows even a novice user to master professional scanning techniques.
Last but not least, all Metis software is constantly enhanced thanks to our fantastic R&D department!
METIS DRS 750 DCS main features and specifications
- Maximum scan format: 50 x 75 cm (19.68 x 29.53 in)
- Maximum Thickness: for books up to 30 cm (11.8 in) thick
- New Camera: allows extension of native optical resolution
- Higher Optical Resolution: 800 PPI (adjustable up to 1600 PPI)
- Image Sensor: 16K CMOS trilinear, High Dynamic Range, low noise, high color fidelity
- Image processing: 16bit per channel (3x16bit) independently from selected output format
- Acquisition modes: Scan, SuperScan, Direct SuperScan
- Image Save formats: Metis MDC, Standard TIFF (Color: 48 or 24bit; Grayscale: 16 or 8bit), JPEG and other formats are also available in normal scan mode
- Focusing: fine adjustable by software control
- Patented Lighting System: 4 light sources with variable intensity; thousands of different light schematics can be obtained through dimming and light distance setting (fully automated and software controlled)
- Light Source Type: High CRI LEDs, IR/UV free
- Very Large Depth of Field (user selectable)
- Automatic Book Cradle: with a motorized and a highly versatile glass, it accepts books as well as drawings, maps and even other originals; with fine pressure adjustment (fully adjustable and user customizable)
- METIS software: all software runs natively at 64bit on Windows 10 64bit Professional edition
- METIS Scan Director software: Drives the METIS scanners, integrating all the tools and features needed to capture the highest quality data both simply and effectively. Included within Scan Director are the METIS Light Inspector and METIS Color Profiler software to provide a smooth and optimal workflow
- METIS Light Inspector software: Provides extensive features needed for the post-processing of a METIS scan, such as adjustment of the light and visual appearance, the generation of the 3D Depth, Glossiness, and Normal MAPs, to the automatic stitching tool
- METIS Color Profiler software: Automatically handles the color accuracy of the scanner with tools for calibration, profile creation and conversion, and the validation of color and ICC profiles. The software also fully supports ICC profiles from scan, on-screen visualization, to the exported data
- Cultural Heritage tools: unsharp masking, despeckle, deskew, paper color correction, light reflection tool, manual or automatic crop, user customizable macro tools for automatic file labeling, and much more
- Perfect geometrical accuracy
- High grade precision/reliable mechanics and optics
- Workflow: Highly optimized for a high real productivity including original positioning, scanning, image processing, saving on local storage or network and book cradle operativity, all in full respect of the originals. The completely automatic workflow allows operating the system directly from the front through foot pedals commands
- Scanner Sizes: 140 cm (55.12 in) length; 130 cm (51.2 in) width; 160 cm (62 in) height
- FADGI / Metamorfoze / ISO 19264-1 compliant
Some other software features:
- Customizable user Profiles for workflow optimization and system settings retrieving
- Fast Preview for real-time adjustments. See always your changes and switch between presets
- Automatic Lighting calibration and gray balance tools
- Color/density tools: exposure, contrast, highlight, shadows, gamma, automatic adjustments, black and white points, histograms and point analysis, etc.
- Full Resolution image view immediately after the scan
- “Light Inspector” tools allow for real-time natural light schematic variations and evaluation
- Full ICC support, always the best color accuracy
and much more.